correct
wrong
FB中翻英論壇 Q & A
回論壇

upbringing, 根據英文解釋,同中文的“教養”有出入,正確解釋應該是小孩的培養過程。正如你摘錄英文說的,一個小孩長大後犯罪跟他的upbringing 有關。

..by Vantar Chung
請按回覆回答
或看以下答案
Michael Wen 2015-06-10 13:47:42
謝謝你的評語,但 upbringing 的確也有教養的意思,如: Due to his upbringing, he shows arrogance and confidence as well as ambition for leadership.
Vantar Chung 2015-06-10 15:19:14
Michael Wen 這是個好例子,但我想知道該句子出處,在哪種context下出現。有時候中文裡一些詞無法和英文作一一對應直翻譯,這也許是個例子。我自己親歷了一個小孩跨中西文化教育過程,在西方人眼裡一個人的confidence, ambition for leadership 是在從小一步步建立self esteem後逐步形成的,所以我會把他們歸入培養方面。當然shows arrogance 就是某種setting下的教養顯示,也還要顧及context, 如果當時遇到壞人他不得不顯出一種arrogance來嚇退對方 就不算是教養問題。這就是為什麼北美TEFL, TESOL堅持不允許學生把英語翻譯成母語來學英文,以免造出不合情理的句子。
Charles Wang 2015-06-11 01:35:17
Vantar Chung
Let’s take a closer look at the following definitions of upbringing:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/upbringing
upbringing (教養=教育+養育) noun
the care (養育) and training (教育) of young children or a particular type of such care (養育) and training (教育):
His religious upbringing fitted him to be a missionary.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/upbringing
upbringing (教養=教育+養育) n.
The rearing (養育) and training (教育) received during childhood.
upbringing (教養=教育+養育) noun
(an example of) the process of bringing up a child.
He had a stern upbringing.
The process of bringing up a child (upbringing 教養=教育+養育) would normally consist of rearing (養育) and training (教育), right?
Vantar Chung 2015-06-11 02:38:19
Charles Wang I guess you and me are looking at the different parts of the definition. I appreciate your discussion. For me, from the link you quoted here, I found a clear definition of upbringing:
"the education of a person during his formative years Also called bringing-up". upbinging是指早年教育和一個人將來言行分不開。
"Their upbringing was very normal and their parents wanted them to have as ordinary a childhood as they could." 這指教育和培養同孩子健康(normal 理解為健康)成長有關。
也是更著墨於教育(心理,生理等), the way parents bringing up a child.
"Do you see Jon as the product of his upbringing and the qualities that Ned Stark (Sean Bean) instilled in him?" 這裡含有培養,教育,雙重意思,實際上中文的“教育”一詞裡就有培養教養的內涵。
我想不管你把它稱為教育還是教養,英文上都是著重在the way you bringing up a person during his formative year. 那麼,如果我想說這人在公共場合做出不禮貌行為時,我就不會說他缺乏 upbringing, 因為我無從知道他是如何被家人或者監護人bringing up 的,但我會說他不是一位 well-mannered person.
在我理解,upbringing is more likely refering to the qualities educators bring to a person during his/her childhood.
If a person grown up or being brought up in a caring environment, he/she would care about people more.
This involved in many years education which also includes both of 培養,行為修養 and skills, literacy level, etc.
It's more close to about how you bring up a child. 所以字面上也用 upbinging.
Anyway, as I mentioned in the previous message, it's not a proper way to teach English by translating fully into one's native language, following the TESOL teaching theory.
Vantar Chung 2015-06-11 02:43:55
I mean, according to the TESOL teaching theory and experiences, it's not a proper way to teach English by translating fully into one's native lanuage.
I would get punishment if I did it in my TEFL teaching class in Canada.
Charles Wang 2015-06-11 04:12:20
Vantar Chung
I should let sleeping dogs lie, and now you seem to bark up the wrong tree.
All kidding aside, I would like to give your elaboration/ interpretation the thumbs up simply because it also holds water.
Thanks for your shedding/ throwing light on what upbringing might mean.
Michael is going to tie up the loose ends of this thread.
洪易成 2015-06-11 14:47:14
Vantar Chung excuse me .now that u don't translate a new language into your native one,how could you understand some abstract ideas?,such as love ,friendship,relationships,logic or something like that.thanks a million!!
Michael Wen 2015-06-13 07:35:07
Vantar Chung, 語言是活的,很多字對不同的人有些微的差異,例如每個人對 "教養" 的解釋也有些許的不同,如果要辯論下去,就沒完沒了了。
< >
還有問題?請發問
請參考 eTalking 線上英語學習

選擇題

起霧的英文怎麼說? (二選一)

revolving door
to fog
下一題 - 方便 f我要發問

填空題

越來越多的刑事案件是歹徒惡人先告狀,誣告受害人,希望被判無罪。 (請填空)

There is a growing number of criminal cases where the real culrit calls the victim the culprit, hoping to get away with it.
下一題 - 說話實在 f我要發問

按讚支持中英物語的FB免費教英文

我的最愛 x
我的搜查紀錄 x
隨機抽詞
單戀
以下如何翻成英文?
我的直覺告訴我此事超出我的能力了。看解答
猜猜以下是啥英文?
以下的圖是什麼英文?
心電感應
排隊